Lincoln City v Ipswich Town – FA Cup 3rd Round replay

FA Cup giant killings were in full swing in the end last night then, with both Lincoln City and Sutton United doing non-league football proud.

Ahead of Lincoln’s game against Ipswich last night, there was a fitting tribute by everyone inside Sincil Bank for Graham Taylor who sadly passed away last week age 72. Taylor who had nine years at Lincoln, four as a player where he finished his career, before eventually taking over as manager and leading them to a promotion in 1976. A true football man and very well-respected.

Onto the game and the focus and chat was also on Lincoln’s manager Danny Cowley and his assistant and brother Nicky, who joined from Braintree at the start of the season. The pair have guided a high flying Lincoln to the top of the Vanarama National League currently, where they lead by a couple of points with games in hand, as they try to get back into the football league. Where the club has been since being relegated back in 2011. Last night’s focus though was well and truly on the FA Cup as they tried to guide Lincoln to the Fourth Round for the first time since the mid-seventies, when that man Graham Taylor was in charge.

Lincoln were desperately unlucky to not get the win away at Portman Road in the first place. On the other hand, Ipswich were lucky to get the replay. Former Manchester United forward, who’s on loan from Leicester scored twice in that game and got the equaliser with four minutes to go. He’s the man in form too having scored one goal in the game before the FA Cup tie and also getting two more last weekend against Blackburn Rovers.

Rumours have it Mick McCarthy is now under real pressure and the results show that, from the results and their mid-table position you can see why. They’re currently sitting 14th but they’ve not had any run of form all season with just random results all over the place, lose at home, win away, win at home, lose away etc.

In the first half hour there wasn’t much in it at all and if you didn’t know the position of the two teams, you’d have thought they were in the same league such was there battling spirit and good play of Lincoln. There was only half chances for both teams until the first best chance came, a great ball was whipped in from the right and Woodyard was so close to giving Lincoln the lead. However, he connected with the ball on his shoulder rather than his head.

The home side kept getting plenty of free kicks too which put the Ipswich defense under great pressure, but they managed to deal with it. No more chances came though until the very last minute of the first half, when Luke Waterfall hit the ball on the bounce and Dean Gerken made a cracking one-handed save!

Rhead caused the confusion with his height and battling spirit and he continued that into the second half as well. He was gradually causing Ipswich more and more problems in the air. Mick McCarthy must have gone mental at this team at half time, but not much seemed to change second half so it didn’t work and they were very poor. And it was Lincoln that looked more like the actual league team.

However, Lincoln couldn’t get that goal and it looked like it was going into extra-time. However, with Ipswich trying to avoid that and get a winner themselves, they looked to get a free-kick high into the box as they sent their defenders forward. It was a poor cross though and with in ten seconds Lincoln had broke quickly and after a superb turn and pass in to Nathan Arnold, who kept his composure to round their keeper to slot home into an empty net to send Lincoln into the next round. They’ll now play at home vs Brighton & Hove Albion. The other results last night were:

AFC Wimbledon 1-3 Sutton United
Barnsley 1-2 Blackpool
Burnley 1-0 Sunderland
Fleetwood Town 0-1 Bristol City
Crystal Palace 2-1 Bolton Wanderers